Friday 24 October 2008

The Aurland Lookout

I came across this lookout called the Aurland Lookout, located in Aurland, Norway quite some time ago (not in real life, though I hope I'll be able to see it in person in the near future). It was designed by architects Todd Saunders and Tomie Wilhelmsen who won the competition for the new lookout. The beautiful thing about it is that it seems to be almost like the Passage d'Enfer as it drops down midway, but still carries on with it's surreal charm. However, there is a tall glass wall at the curve and if I remember right, that's exactly what both Tom and Tomie wanted to play on, the idea of deceiving the eye and creating an almost daredevil atmosphere and the need to explore the end of it only to discover that it does in fact stop at the forefront of the beautiful panoramic view of the surrounding fjords. I lived in Norway for 3 years, but only travelled up to the far north once to see the fjords, something I'd like to see again.

No comments: