Thursday 16 October 2008

Introducing the Gunpowder!

This is my first post on my blog. I thought I'd start off by posting some negative willow charcoal drawings I did a while ago. I find it more comforting sometimes to work with charcoal powder from back to front as opposed to using a pencil as I feel it allows strokes to be less restricted, more experimental and expressive.

These drawings to the left were part of my 'human form' project (yr 12, AS fine art) where we had to study the human form and branch off in a direction that we could relate back to this starting point. I chose to explore the slight mystery and curiosity attached to the violent, bloodbath sports of the underworld such as bare knuckle fighting, where the bare body is a defence and attack mechanism, muscles tensed almost animalistic and has a very dark gruesome reality (which is what I tried to illustrate in the the two drawings here). First one is of an opponent (I modelled myself for thedrawing) before a fight, the question mark is to question the reality of the sport and choices. The second is of one caught up in a match, I wanted to emphasise on movement and the tensing of muscles. The text is there (it's just something I like doing) because I feel everything tells a story.

No comments: